Sunday, October 28, 2012

What We Think Hurts Will Only Benefit Us


Assignment: Write a Profile of a person or a group. Focus on some specific aspect that is noteworthy.

         Numerous pieces of paper lay in between a homework agenda on the floor in front of the bedroom of one of the most studious men I know. After all the work I had to get done from an elementary charter school, I had even more work, this time it was from my father. " Leave your homework in front of my door so that when I come home from work at eleven-thirty, we can go over it," said Mr.Simplice. A stubborn man that came from nothing, he grew up on the farm, and the only way out of all the misery he was going through was education. He was tough, sometimes a little too tough.
"What strives you to be so studious?" I asked. " I wanted something better for my self, something different than my peers, and my family," replied Mr. Simplice. He did anything and everything to achieve his goal. Having his eyes droop down to his cheeks, waking up before the sun, and being drenched before entering each class all were second nature to this man. " You Americans have it easy, I use to stand in class to write my notes," Mr. Simplice added. Speaking to him, you can see the passion in his eyes, the pain of his past, and the sanctification of his present life.
Jefferson was an engineer from Port-au-Prince, Haiti who wasn't on a mission for the American Dream for himself, but rather to open more opportunities for an american dream for his children. Mr. Simplice was on a mission to make his children either equal or even better men than he was. Surely the idea of becoming like him almost sounded like a far reach for us. Mr. Simplice was feared, a serious guy that was always respected among his people. After the numerous amount of loss in sleep it was apparent that school came before anything else. He would come home late at night with no sign of tiredness, and ready to disrupt us all from our sleep.We as Kids use to moan and groan with restless faces when he asked to go over our homework with us.
I was done with my homework early one night, exhausted to the point that I slurring my words. I went to sleep early in peace, comfortably in my bed, and unexpectedly my father woke me up. Still in his engineer uniform, fingers covered in oil, and hair disoriented. We sat on the table across from each other. He skimmed through everything and specifically the math. Sadly that day I made numerous mistakes on my math homework. We went over each question, and once I understood it he created extra examples so I could further master it." The child has school in the morning let him go to sleep," said my Mother. He pushed me more, and more, and more to the point that I spent more time listening to his lectures than my own teacher's.
Ever since then, what seemed to be miserable moments were only benefiting us all. School was always primary. The number's on my test's were high."Why are you so hard on us?" I asked. "I am not being hard on you, the things I do will only benefit you for the future, and some day you will thank me," said Mr. Simplice. My father's struggles have made him who he is, and he strives to instill the same hunger he has in all of his children. As far as education goes, my father is a machine, and we his children were being manufactured. At the end of every term I handed him every report card I ever received and he is always pleased to sign it.

No comments:

Post a Comment