Monday, December 17, 2012

THE END


With the world coming to an end, at least I can die happily after completing this course. Writing Rhetorically is a course where students learn how to communicate to a variety of audiences, and think complexly. This semester is coming to an end and if there were to be one thing that I can say I learned,  it is that writing does not only "matter in college", it matters in life. Writing Job applications, blogs, cover letters, reports, e- mail's,  or even lab reports are all writings we possibly do on a regular basis. In high school, writing assignments were conducted with little to no freedom. Natural writing voices were lost, writing projects had to be five paragraphs no matter what, and on top of that the prompts were not even broad. After the completion of this semesters english class, I have gained my own personality when writing and it has been presented within my blogs by gaining knowledge of different writing styles.
Short stories, argumentive essays, editorials, and just to name a few are all writing styles our class attacked this semester. Learning research paths,  how to write a thesis, and writing structure, all varied amongst different styles. Gaining this information put me two steps ahead in the presence of my colleagues, or those who did not take this course. Whether I was sending an applications with a cover letter, or a lab report for chemistry class, I knew how to attack each assignment. These are information I wish I knew all along. Getting insight from each assignment given to me this semester has allowed me to digest small things from each chapter that'll allow me to create this individual writing style that I speak of. For example, I remember in one chapter it spoke of incorporating sarcasm and humor in a  writing. I am a humurous guy so why not put my own voice onto the paper?
Surely, I am very pleased with the results shown in my writing from this class. High School does not even compare. Writing is how we communicate with others, wether it is through the cyber world or through a piece of paper, our writing needs to be able to stand out. To do that, we must establish our own personality in our writings. Professor Mcpherson once told our class, "You all have individual qualities about yourselves, and If you can just be yourself in your writings, it will be that much more beautiful." I will cherish those words forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment